Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Christmas Eve on Flat Holm

5.30am on Christmas Eve and its time to get my boat on the van and meet up with Taran at Sully. Weve both wanted to do this trip since weve had snow but its been put off due to work, weather etc.
We set off under a full moon lit sky about an hour before high water.

The sky to the east quickly brightens up as we are well on our way.

With nearly a 12m tide we are quickly dragged up the channel past the Wolves buoy.
We speedily approach Flat Holm with little effort.


The water line is way beyond the beach and is nearly breaking over the wall on the slipway. We both gracefully slice a layer of plastic off our boats on the cheese grater of a ramp!

The sun was still down bellow a strip of cloud stretching just above the horizon and the moon was still bright in the sky above Aberthaw chimney.


We take a walk over to the light house where the sun just peaks over the cloud in a delayed sunrise.

Pity I missed the top of the light house in this panoramic shot. At this point I had lost all feeling in my feet.

I would quite happily convert this world war two look out post into a home and look out to this view every morning, even if it is on the small side.
We carried on past the farm house greeted by some of the islands resident animals.

Cardiff skyline lights up in the distance.

Back on the water we play about in the flow driving through castle rock and this time manage to get back around for another go. My hands and feet were in some serious pain by now.

Another 40mins and we were back at Sully Island.

In the calm around Sully Sound I decide to test out my new piece of kit. After reading an article in Ocean Paddler magazine I decided to rig together this Inuit looking hand line for fishing. The idea of a multi day trip, camping in the wilds cooking up fresh fish on a drift wood fire sounds like heaven.

Woohoo I caught some sea weed! As you may have gathered I have never fished in my life. In fact I only started eating fish a few months ago. A few more goes and I end up snagging my ball weight on the sea bed and loosing it.

We make another lap around Sully Island taking in some rock hopping further peeling back the layers off our hulls before landing back on the beach.
An absolute perfect day to possibly end this years paddling, but I doubt it still a few days left yet. Im now off to hang my 17ft stocking in the hope Santa will bring me a nice Alaw Bach or something similar (can only wish). MERRY CHRISTMAS everyone!

0 comments:

Post a Comment